What is the Diabetes Empowerment Education Program (DEEP)TM?
The primary goal of DEEP is to empower people to take control of diabetes and their health. Mountain-Pacific staff are trained to use the DEEP curriculum in diabetes self-management education classes. While our classes do not replace diabetes education taught by certified health professionals, they do encourage participants to engage in their health care and to better manage diabetes.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 29.1 million people have diabetes, and 8.1 million of those people are undiagnosed. Working within local communities, Mountain-Pacific Quality Health strives to improve diabetes health literacy, care and outcomes through the Everyone with Diabetes Counts program. Education is a key component to empowering patients to better manage their condition. By collaborating with local and national diabetes programs, Mountain-Pacific can help find the right diabetes education program for Medicare patients and their families, based on local resources available in their communities.
We focus on
- providing self-management education to populations who have a higher prevalence of diabetes and those living in rural areas;
- engaging the community in supporting self-management for those living with diabetes;
- providing education and resources through the Everyone with Diabetes Counts program;
- working with persons with diabetes and their families on diabetes education and self-management;
- engaging health care providers, certified diabetes educators and community workers in providing skills and knowledge that can improve the quality of life for people with diabetes.
As a Medicare quality innovation network-quality improvement organization (QIN-QIO), quality health care is a high priority for Mountain-Pacific, and we know it is important to you, too. Quality measures evaluate processes and outcomes to help make the care you provide more effective, safer, more efficient and patient-centered. As one of our provider partners, we encourage you to learn more about the quality measures related to improving diabetes care to improve your Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS) measure results.
Learn more about our diabetes program by contacting your local Mountain-Pacific Quality Health representative.
Everyone with Diabetes Counts.
Right now, across the country, people with diabetes, pre-diabetes or at risk for getting diabetes are learning about the Everyone with Diabetes Counts program. This program also teaches doctors about diabetes education and training, so they can help their patients who have the disease. As part of this program, Mountain-Pacific Quality Health is working in Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, Wyoming, Guam and Saipan to improve the health of people with diabetes.
Be a valuable member of your health care team.
You probably know the phrase “knowledge is power.” When it comes to managing diabetes, this is definitely true. Mountain-Pacific is working in your community to help develop FREE, peer-led diabetes self-management education (DSME) courses. In these classes, you can learn how to:
- Improve your quality of life and then stay healthy
- Prevent serious complications and illnesses that can happen if you do not manage your diabetes
- Improve your eating habits
- Increase your physical activity
- Develop skills to take care of yourself, both physically and emotionally
- Strengthen your relationships with your health care providers
- Use the community resources available to you
Get some information and get involved!
We can help you find a peer-led DSME course in your community. Or if you would like to make your community a more supportive place for people with diabetes, contact us and join your community coalition or become a peer educator. You can be an expert about your own health and help others. Learn more and get involved today!
Click here for a list of tools and resources.
Do you have a success story? Share it here!
Contact us to learn more about our services.
Tools and Resources
See our Quality Improvement Initiative tools and resources.