Steps Needed to Register Providers for Meaningful Use
December 20, 2016
Written by Patty Kosednar
Can you believe it is almost the end of 2016? Hopefully you have completed the steps needed to meet the requirements of Meaningful Use for this year. If you have providers that are new to your organization or new to Meaningful Use, there are some additional steps you will need to take.
If a provider is new to the Meaningful Use program, you will need to perform the following steps:
- Create or verify they have an I&A Account (Identity and Access Management System)
- Create or verify they have an active and approved record in PECOS (provider enrollment and chain ownership system)
- Complete registration in the CMS EHR Registration (National Level Registry)
- Medicaid Only – complete registration in the Medicaid State Level Registries (SLR)
If a provider is new to your organization (but not to MU) you will want to perform the following steps:
- Confirm their previous clinic is not attesting them to Meaningful Use for 2016 (if they began practicing midyear)
- Confirm that your clinic information is identified in their PECOS record
- Confirm or edit their CMS EHR registration record in the national level registry (NLR) to show the provider is affiliated with your clinic
- Medicaid Only – after updating their account in the NLR, confirm or edit their CMS EHR registration record in the state level registry (SLR) to show the provider is affiliated with your clinic
If the provider attested for MU for your clinic in a previous year, you should be all set.
We provided a webinar on this topic last year that walks you through each step, with links to all needed resources. You can access the presentation materials here – HTS EHR Program Registration Webinar.
To double check you have not missed any requirement for MU this year, check out our recent MU Blog post that lists all tasks needed to complete MU for the 2016 reporting period.
2016 MU Attestation Deadlines
- The deadline for attesting to the Medicare EHR Incentive Program is 2/28/2017
- The deadline for attest to the Montana Medicaid EHR Incentive Program is 3/31/17
- Please check your state SLR to find out the dates for your individual states
If you have any questions, or run into issues with any of the meaningful use objectives and would like help, please use the “Leave a Reply” section below, or email Patty Kosednar directly with your questions or comments.
Other Resource Links