Switching EHR Vendors? Pump the breaks and read!
April 7, 2017
Written by Kristen Schuster, Practice Facilitator
Alright, you have decided to finally go for it. Make the BIG switch. We all can agree that not all EHRs are created equal and with the interoperability push hanging over our heads like a cumulonimbus it can make sense to take the plunge. If your organization is switching to align with other practices or because the current EHR can’t keep up here are some steps that have to be done and things that may make it a little easier to navigate the switch.
Things to know before the switch
- Verify the new EHR is a CPC+ recognized vendor
- CMS HAS to be notified 90 days prior to the go live date
- 12 months of data is expected unless arrangements are made with CMS
- eCQM data must be no less than 9 consecutive months
- Remember that all eCQM reports have to be extracted from the EHR a manual audit does not qualify.
Things to do in preparation and what to include
- Submit a ticket with Telligen( previously it said through the portal and that is not the case. Email or call 1-888-372-3280)
- Label the ticket Health IT-request to switch EHRs
- Include which vendor you are moving to and why
- A detailed plan for getting the minimum amount of data collected
- This needs to include the method and how the practice will ensure accuracy
- Proposed go live date and a plan if the date has to be pushed back reducing the months of data.
- If there is ANY possibility the practice can’t report 9 months of data detail exactly why
- Notify CMS immediately if the date has changed
Tips and what to expect
- If you have not heard from CMS in 3 days call and have the escalate your ticket(request them to mark it high priority)
- Include the person that has the most information about the switch on the ticket as a reference
- CMS responses
- Approval-ensure you get this in writing or via email
- Pending-CMS will call and schedule a call with questions and concerns about the switch
Remember with CMS that persistence is important. Have a dedicated staff member monitoring the responses and progress from CMS. If you are not getting the response you want call them with your reference number ready to check the status. Also, please reach out to me with questions about making the switch.
Also please refer to CPC+ Connect to network with other CPC+ practices utilizing the same EHR for ideas and best practices. We are in the process of setting up regional pages for both MT and HI in the CPC+ Connect Portal and will let you know when that is complete. This will make it easier to identify practices utilizing the same technology. On the Plus Side is a weekly newsletter, emailed to all subscribers that lists upcoming educational events, CPC+ tasks and links to CMS resources. As always, complete CPC+ information from CMS can be found on the CPC+ Connect Portal. We encourage you to access the portal and check out all available CMS CPC+ resources.
If you have any questions, or run into issues with any of the CPC+ objectives and would like help please use the “Leave a Reply” section below, or email Kristen Schuster directly with your questions or comments.